Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What I learned in seminary today.

This morning in seminary, we watched the video, To This End was I Born. I haven't seen that video since high school and I was amazed how much I remembered. I knew that it had a profound impact on me then. We used to call it, "the video."

It was such a blessing to be able to see this movie and to be reminded at this Christmastime of the gift that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have given us. Even though I can't watch the whole video, I am so touched by the many difficult trials and abuses that the Savior was subject to. As I watched the video today and pondered on all that we have studied that last few weeks, my heart hurt. The atonement has been so real for me over the last few years. I truly believe that I have the opportunity to be with my family forever and to be forgiven of my sins. I know that it is only through the atonement of Jesus Christ that I can return to my Heavenly Father. No other gift even compares.

Even though I can't actually watch the part of the movie when the Savior is scourged or when they nail him to the cross, I am tremendously aware of the pain he went through on my behalf. And yet, the part of the movie that I remembered least was the part that had the most impact on me today. As Peter runs back to the tomb and sees for himself that it is empty, the burial clothes are folded neatly and he sees for himself that all that Jesus testified of was true. The Savior then appears in paradise. He embraces a man and I am left to wonder about the day when I will be able to embrace my Lord and thank Him for all He has done for me. I know that Heavenly Father loves me and that Jesus Christ died for me and I will forever be grateful for that knowledge and how it leads my life.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

I still can't watch "the video" without thinking of the seminary Christmas assembly we did way back then. It had a tremendous impact on me then too. Thank you so much for sharing your testimony!